The East Course was laid out in 1897, with slight redesign by Herbert Fowler in 1919. Saunton sits on the edge of Bideford Bay and the estuary of the River Taw. Many consider Saunton to be of Open Championship quality, providing some of the highest quality links holes in the UK. The West Course, laid out in the 1930s, is shorter than the East. But still presents a challenge.